Have any of y'all opted for an induction for whatever reason? Let me explain my reasoning for considering it.
With DD2, I had to be induced at 37 weeks due to IUGR, and it was causing more harm for her to stay in than it was for her to come out.
With DD3, I was induced at 39 weeks because I had SPD and they were mildly concerned about fluid levels.
On to DD4, I'm only 17 weeks so I have a little bit of time to think about it. But DH and I have been discussing opting for an induction at 39 weeks because of his job. He usually works 80+ hours a week, most of the time he isn't home until midnight or later. He gets one week paid vacation right around my due date, but he has to let them know at least 4 days in advanced or the vacation request will be denied. So there's a good possibility of me going into labor and him either not getting there in time or getting there but not having paid time off.
Im struggling with this decision to request a scheduled induction because I want so badly to go into labor on my own and to experience the surprise, since DD4 is my last baby. But we also can't afford for him to miss days.
I don't know what to do, I'm so torn
You dont have to explain your reasoning/choice to anyone. Even in this case, your body, your choice still applies.
Buuut, i will say, i would never choose an induction unless it was medically necessary. IUGR, definitely a good reason for induction. SPD? Nope. I had it... Probably will again, but i would never choose to induce because of it. Because DH could likely miss the birth? Nope. I would never force my child out (and possibly risk his/her health) early just so DH could be there. Maybe that sounds bitchy of me... But thats my opinion on the subject.
Again, your body, your baby, your choice.
I've only ever opted for induction because i had Pre E, so that's me personally. But I will say that had i not had pre E i woulda let baby come on their own. Basically baby comes whenever my body and baby feel ready. If there's no medical reason, anything other than that is selfish IMO. But your body, your choice.
My ex had a similar problem getting time off when ds1 was born...he tried to put in got time off in Jan even thought the baby wasn't due until June but they told him to wait when we got the date for my induction he only had a weeks notice and they gave him heck to have even a few days off...if it's that important to you and hubby for him to be there and your doc says baby is ok at 39 weeks I say go for it...it's not like you are opting for a 26week induction...your body your choice
He doesn't get sick or personal time?
My first was scheduled at 40w3d for a reason similar to yours. I wish though I would have let nature do it's thing and I had planned to this time but since I had pre e no such luck. Does his job not qualify for fmla? If so they can't deny time off and if it's his vacation time I don't think they can prevent him from using it but I could be wrong. My husband's job did not meet the qualifications for fmla which is why it was scheduled the first time.
Sounds like its time to start saving 50-100 a week so it can be affordable if you go into labor naturally. I wouldn't force a baby out to fit your needs. It's about the baby's needs. What if baby comes out with problems that could have been prevented by just waiting? My first came early at 37 weeks, water broke but ended in a section. Second i tried to vbac but had a section schudueled at 40w1d...never went into labor. Spent late nights with dh driving 2 hours to the hospital because dehydration and false labor caused by it. He never got paid time off but sucked it up. He did how ever save money in advance...why because he knew I could go into labor randomly and didnt have paid leave or vacation time.
With my first i opted for induction. I didn't know any better. It was my first and my husband and i were both young. I didn't want to be in the hospital ( she was due christmas eve ). Honestly it was horrible. I had to have a ton of pit, i pushed for 3 hours and almost had to have a c-section. They finally were able to use a vacuum to get her out. She wasn't ready and prob. would have honestly stayed until new years. labor was 14 hours 3 of which were pushing/
With #2 i was induced because of medical reasons. ( she was closer to being ready and i only pushed a couple of times once it was time to push. ) 8 hours labor pushed only 10 min.
With number 3 i went naturally, he came 4 days before his due date. Easiest labor and quickest recovery. water broke ( no contractions for 12 hours ) went to hospital so they could give me a little big of pit. labor was literally started at 6 he was born at 6:27 2 pushes.
and honestly even if # 4 is late i'm going to wait until i go into labor by myself ( as long as its safe you know what i mean )
Thank y'all for the responses. I'm just gonna go naturally, unless it becomes medically unsafe. I've wanted to go into labor on my own since DD1 and haven't been able to for medical reasons. Even if it means DH isn't there for the birth, so be it.
Ive have scheduled inductions and natural labor. By far the natural labor was easier and less painful. U do whats best for u. Good luck.