4-H fluffyruffruff 5 kids; United States 4722 posts
Apr 25th '17

Has anyone had their kid in 4-H? Ive been thinking about putting my 5yo in the program... Im sure it varies by different cities/states/groups/etc... But i work weird hours and im curious what the norm is like. When do they *usually* meet? How long are the meetings? What are the "field trips" like? How often do they meet? Do parents usually stay or just drop them off? Can a grandparent attend? 

I never got to participate in activities like this so i really want my kids to be able to. Any insight would be helpful! Thanks.

rachelellie Due August 21; United States 297 posts
Apr 25th '17

At least here in Indiana you cant officially be in 4-h until second grade I believe.  Meetings just vary by county and each group.  Most parents stay here at least with the younger kids.  A lot just depends on the county and group you end up joining.

fluffyruffruff 5 kids; United States 4722 posts
Apr 25th '17

Quoting rachelellie:
At least here in Indiana you cant officially be in 4-h until second grade I believe.  Meetings just vary by county and each group.  Most parents stay here at least with the younger kids.  A lot just depends on the county and group you end up joining.

Here it says they start at age 5. How do you go about enrolling them?

SpidermansMommy 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Ohio 6866 posts
Apr 26th '17

Quoting fluffyruffruff:

Here it says they start at age 5. How do you go about enrolling them?

Look up the website for 4-H in your state. I found ours (Ohio) pretty easily, and it tells you who to get in touch with to enroll. I believe the enrollment is over for this year (at least here, may be different in your state). In Ohio, you have to be 5 and in kindergarten to be in the Clover Buds program. I'm planning to enroll my son next year.

Thinkaboutit 4 kids; United States 2511 posts
Apr 26th '17

My first grader joined this year....there usually are not many projects for them when they are in the clover program. My daughter only did the craft project this year.....5 is a little young even for that. Our club meetings are the first Monday of the month at 7pm and the project meeting times vary based off the group leader's availability. I feel like 5 is a little young unless they already have an older sibling enrolled, kwim? My first grader is super focused and I feel like she was a little young for it this year, but she ended up doing well.

chubbie2hubbie 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Cowpoop, WI, United States 132 posts
Apr 26th '17

My 2 oldest girls are in 4h (18 and 15). My oldest shows beef and dairy and my 15 year old shows sheep and dairy. They also do photography. Both of them have over $8000 in the bank from selling their animals. It's hard work, but they are realizing it's worth it. There are so many opportunities when your child is of age to participate. Anyone is welcome to attend the meetings; it doesn't have to be a parent. My husband, who is a dairy farmer, grew up with 4h. Me, on the other hand absolutely did not! For me, it's a learning curve! But it all depends on what project your kiddo enrolls in.

eta: our 4h club meets once a month. Field trips are optional. Our club expects parents to donate pies to our local firemans pork chop dinner and to our local fair.