15 month old and the nebulizer Jake Wyler 1 child; 2 angel babies; New Jersey 1171 posts
Feb 4th '17

Yesterday we took DS to his pediatrician and it turns he has bronchitis. He had a low grade fever on Sunday and started coughing Tuesday, the coughs sound so painful and he hasn't been sleeping good. His pediatrician told us use the nebulizer twice a day for a week and so far both times have been complete failures. DH and I feel like we are performing an exorcism on our giant baby Unknown We tried putting on his favorite shows and no matter how hard we try to pin him down he just shakes his head side to side so hard. The first attempt left us covered in Albuterol. 

Any tips? Can this be done while he is asleep?

Addi&Aria'smama 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Florissant, Missouri 8261 posts
Feb 4th '17

As long as he is breathing it can be done awake or asleep. He just has to breath it in nothing special.

Jake Wyler 1 child; 2 angel babies; New Jersey 1171 posts
Feb 4th '17

Quoting Addi&Aria'smama:
As long as he is breathing it can be done awake or asleep. He just has to breath it in nothing special.

Ok, thank you!

♡J+C+B+J+0=5♡ 5 kids; Godfrey, IL, United States 5321 posts
Feb 4th '17

I give DD her treatments at nap time and bed time. I make sure there are other noises in the house so the noise doesnt wake her up, and so far its been successful. 

Feb 4th '17

Quoting ♡J+C+B+J+0=5♡:
I give DD her treatments at nap time and bed time. I make sure there are other noises in the house so the noise doesnt wake her up, and so far its been successful. 

DS sleeps with white noise on so hopefully that helps cover up the nebulizer. 

♡J+C+B+J+0=5♡ 5 kids; Godfrey, IL, United States 5321 posts
Feb 4th '17

Quoting Jake Wyler:

DS sleeps with white noise on so hopefully that helps cover up the nebulizer. 

Im sure it will. DS2 used a white noise machine and he actually would fall asleep during treatments. 

HFlo14 Due July 18 (twins); TTC since Oct 2016; 2 kids; United States 579 posts
Feb 5th '17

Yes you can do it while he's asleep. Also, you do not have to have him WEAR the mask, alot of babies/toddlers/kids don't like the feeling of the mask because it makes them feel restricted. As long as it's in front of his nose/mouth and the steam is going in his face a lot of the times that's okay as well. And actually crying during it is ok because it forces him/her to open their lungs. But sometimes it's really not worth the fight and while they are sleeping is 100% okay. I hope he feels better soon! :( 

⭐No Apologies Due April 10; Miami, FL, United States 4078 posts
Feb 5th '17

My 7 month olds nebulizer comes with a mask and the tubes. I just give him the tubes because he likes putting things in his mouth anyway lol

Feb 5th '17

Quoting HFlo14:
Yes you can do it while he's asleep. Also, you do not have to have him WEAR the mask, alot of babies/toddlers/kids don't like the feeling of the mask because it makes them feel restricted. As long as it's in front of his nose/mouth and the steam is going in his face a lot of the times that's okay as well. And actually crying during it is ok because it forces him/her to open their lungs. But sometimes it's really not worth the fight and while they are sleeping is 100% okay. I hope he feels better soon! :( 

Yeah, wearing the mask definitely freaks him out. I did it last night when he fell asleep and he already seems to be doing much better today, thank you!