6 week old not pooping MotherOfSoonToBe2 Due December 23; 1 child; Allenstown, NH, United States 74 posts
Jan 10th '12

So my 6 week old hasn't pooped in the past 24 hours. He passes gas fine and he has tiny little spots of poop once in a while, but he hasn't given a good healthy poop. Should I be worried? Could he be constipated? And would this bother him and cause him to cry more? Because once in a while he cries and doesn't seem to stop crying no matter what I do.
Help, please?

user banned 1 child; Hastings, Oklahoma 1458 posts
Jan 10th '12
Quoting Terry Mondor:" So my 6 week old hasn't pooped in the past 24 hours. He passes gas fine and he has tiny little spots ... [snip!] ... and cause him to cry more? Because once in a while he cries and doesn't seem to stop crying no matter what I do. Help, please?"

Breast or Formula?

[[Brodie's Mama]] 1 child; Exeter, California 533 posts
Jan 10th '12

if you breastfeed, that's normal

Amy {NAVY WIFE} Due June 17 (twins); 1 child; Virginia 4034 posts
Jan 10th '12
Quoting Our little Secret:" Breast or Formula?"

!!!

This is totally normal for breastfed babies.

MotherOfSoonToBe2 Due December 23; 1 child; Allenstown, NH, United States 74 posts
Jan 10th '12

I am breastfeeding but he's not pooping like he normally does. He's never done this before which is why I'm worried. He seems to try to poop at times, but then his diapers are only full of pee, no poop.

user banned 1 child; Hastings, Oklahoma 1458 posts
Jan 10th '12
Quoting Terry Mondor:" I am breastfeeding but he's not pooping like he normally does. He's never done this before which is why ... [snip!] ... this before which is why I'm worried. He seems to try to poop at times, but then his diapers are only full of pee, no poop."

when i breastfed my son pooped several times a day. if this is something new then i would see a doctor.

Megan and Max 1 child; United Kingdom 1375 posts
Jan 10th '12

This same thing happened to me literally ended today.
My 8 week old boy hadn't had a poop in over 48 hours, I called Cow and Gate and she told me some things to help him poop.
- Massage his belly in a clockwise motion while in a bath filled just above belly level.
- Cycle his legs gently.
- Give him an ounce of cooled boiled water between feeds.
He finally went this morning just shy of 72 hours and it was that bad it leaked out of the nappy and all over his clothes, I knew there was a reason I didn't like the pampers I bought, I buy the supermarkets own brand and they are brilliant!

Be prepared for a lot of poop, if he hasn't gone in about 4 days maybe call your GP and ask if he can be checked over, it can be totally normal as others have said but sometimes there is something wrong and he could need some more encouragement, his little bowels are learning what to do still!

I have never been so happy to see poop :?

MotherOfSoonToBe2 Due December 23; 1 child; Allenstown, NH, United States 74 posts
Jan 10th '12

Megan & Max:
Thank you so much!! I'll try all of those. (: Actually, I use to cycle his legs to play with him and completely spaced that I haven't done that in a couple of days.

Amy {NAVY WIFE} Due June 17 (twins); 1 child; Virginia 4034 posts
Jan 10th '12

Its seriously totally normal for them to go through stages where they don't poop every day. My daughter would go from pooping 5-6 times a day, to not pooping in 3 or 4 days. Because they absorb more of the breastmilk, is normal for them to take longer to get all of the nutrients out. Chances are, he is probably not constipated and probably doesn't need any help. Read this from La Leche League:

http://www.llli.org/faq/bm.html

Mark Jacob's Mommy 1 child; New York, 203 posts
Jan 10th '12

Doctors say not to worry until they have gone for three days without pooping. My son is like this too. When he does poop look and see if it is soft, if it is then he isn't constipated. If its hard and pellet like then he is constipated.

Jan 10th '12

he finally pooped after i cycled his legs. :)

thank you all. :)

Megan and Max 1 child; United Kingdom 1375 posts
Jan 10th '12
Quoting Terry Mondor:" he finally pooped after i cycled his legs. :) thank you all. :)"

Yay!! x

XxChowderW/MayoOnTheSidex Due July 8 (girl); 1 child; Delaware 1469 posts
Jan 10th '12

I was having the same problem with my LO. I asked his pedi about it and he said that it can be normal for a baby that young to not poop for up to 6 days! as long as they keep eating, don't have a fever, and have up to 6 wet diapers a day

Puan Adidah Malaysia 1 posts
Apr 12th '15

my 3 year old kid also the same.. how ??? 

Dominic Uee Malaysia 1 posts
Apr 14th '15

My daughter stomach was a bit bloated and her stool is kinda watery.. not those soft type. Is this normal for kids? or i should just bring her to the doctor?