5 year old throwing stuff at us jaydin & cadence mommy 2 kids; Norwich, Connecticut 80 posts
Oct 11th

Hi I'm looking for some advise 

so a little backround story I left my daughter sperm bag when she was 15 months old because he was abusive and I had enough when he beat me over the head with a chair with my at the time 15 month old daughter

my daughter is turning 5 on Sunday and she has just been out of control this past week just not listening to me or my husband who she knows as her only father. Yesterday my husband made a joke and it made her mad she ran into her room picked up her little plastic chair and threw it at him. because of the little background story I have ptsd and that was a big trigger.  I ran into my room and cried and she was put into time out. Today I told her she couldn't go outside because of yesterday so she picks up a pillow and throws it at me. Once again time out. So I'm currently making dinner and I turn around and my daughter is in my room which she knows she not allowed to go in. So time out again she asked me if she could get out and I told her no and walked away and what do you know she throws a heavy toy at me. She's in her room the rest of the night. I'm just don't know what else to do me and my husband both work and live paycheck to paycheck and by some amazing way I won 500$ at work and spent it all on getting her this really cute princess loft bed for her birthday and I'm a very frustrated mother

...B... 4 kids; 3 angel babies; .., .., Christmas Island 1235 posts
Oct 12th

Not sure really except to be consistent in punishments, and talk with her afterwards about why its not ok for her to act like xyz, and how she can express herself differently. Also i would say dont punish way after the fact, like the no outside time today for throwing something yesterday seems unreasonable. 

lamb_nodules 2 kids; United Kingdom 3709 posts
Oct 12th

Quoting ...B...:
Not sure really except to be consistent in punishments, and talk with her afterwards about why its not ok for her to act like xyz, and how she can express herself differently. Also i would say dont punish way after the fact, like the no outside time today for throwing something yesterday seems unreasonable. 

I agree. Calm and consistent is the way to go. She also might have noticed your reaction the first time and now knows she can upset you by throwing. Not that it's not upsetting, of course, but I'd try and stay calm and unimpressed in your immediate reaction.