Sent home? sweetpalmetto Due May 29; Japan 2 posts
May 10th '13

So, this morning, I was awakened by contractions/pain. I stayed in bed for about an hour trying to time them and see them if they would go away and they didn't, so I got up to see if that made a difference-nope. Called the Dr's office and they sent me to L&D to be checked out.
I get there and am put on the monitor, which shows that I'm having contractions every 3-4 minutes. They check my cervix and I was still 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced, the same as I was at my last appointment, so they decide to watch me for awhile to see if I have any cervical changes. After about an hour and a half on the monitor, they come in and check me again....I had dilated to 2cm, but still no change in effacement.
They called my Doctor (I was sure they were going to admit me because after all, my cervix had changed!)...When the nurse came back, she said that since I hadn't had any change in effacement, the Dr. was going to send me back home, but she encouraged me to walk for an hour before leaving to see if that changed anything. Checked again, still 2cm, no change in effacement.
I am back at home, but I am still very uncomfortable. The contractions I have been having are between a 5-7 on the pain scale, with some more than that. I like and trust my Doctor, but I am very confused why I was sent back home.
They told me to come back in when I was having contractions that I could not walk through or talk through....this makes me nervous because I do not live close to the hospital.
What do you think? Any advice?

Allissa Specht 3 kids; 2 angel babies; Essexville, Michigan 5736 posts
May 10th '13

You were sent home to relax. That way your body can do what it's supposed to. They are helping you in the long run. Sitting in the hospital is no fun. This way, you can labor unassisted and without unnecessary interference.

Seneca Thurman 2 kids; Nashville, Tennessee 609 posts
May 10th '13

I had the same problem when I went in two weeks early with my first. I had lost my mucous plug and was having contractions 3-4 mins apart so went in to L&D and after three hours the doctor sent me home. Mind you, I was also having off and on contractions and 3 cm dilated and I can't remember what effaced but they sent me home on the terms that I wasn't in "active" labor. I was hurting bad and didn't understand why they sent me home but I went and my labor practically stopped. It wasn't until a week later that they asked if I wanted to be induced and I finally had my son the week after that. Maybe they just want to make sure your body is really about to have a baby before they keep you. Idk what their reasoning is...

K.J♥ Due November 4; 2 kids; Russellville, Kentucky 430 posts
May 10th '13
Quoting sweetpalmetto:" So, this morning, I was awakened by contractions/pain. I stayed in bed for about an hour trying to time ... [snip!] ... through or talk through....this makes me nervous because I do not live close to the hospital. What do you think? Any advice?"

the day before I had my son I went and was dilated to 2 and 75% effaced and was having contraction 5-6 min apart but I was progressing very fast so after an hour of being monitored they sent me home, I had contractions all night but not very bad ones then the next day they started getting more and more intense and I called my doctor when they was like 10 min apart to see what he thought and he said for me to come in when they were 5-7 min apart (I live 45-50 min away from my doctor/hospital) but I ended up not going til about 8 that night and by the time I got up there they were two min apart and unbearable and he was out a few minutes before nine. didn't have time for an epi or anything. I didn't go sooner bc I didn't just wanna be sent home again. so if I was u I would go whenever u thought was right, rather they sent you home again or not. I was close to giving birth in the car.

sweetpalmetto Due May 29; Japan 2 posts
May 10th '13

Thanks for all your replies. I took some benadryl and am hoping to just go to sleep for awhile and see what happens. If I make it to my appointment next week, I'm going to try to stress to the Doctor that I cannot just get there in 30 minutes or less. This morning we went in rush hour traffic and it took over an hour to get there...and that was with pretty light traffic. On a day when there were many traffic jams, I'm sure that it could take 2 hours or even more.

Belle De Jour Due October 8 (boy); 3 kids; Kentucky 19292 posts
May 10th '13

Is this your first baby? If so then you probably have nothing to worry about. I was in labor over 20 hours with both my kids. Wait until the contractions are coming closer together and then go back in.
When is your due date?

White Chocolate Milk 1 child; Chelsea, Alabama 12304 posts
May 10th '13

They sent you home because you aren't in active labor. If you are going to go into labor on your own, there really isn't a need for you to sit in a hospital for possible days, or risk being talked into unnecessary interventions. You are in early labor. And that can last anywhere from a few hours to even a week. You will have plenty of time to get to the hospital.