My labor story. (LONG) M+1 & twin angels <3 1 child; Ballarat, Australia 1583 posts
Jan 26th '13

On Friday, January 4th I went to my prenatal check-up, and got my membrane sweep because of the thought that it could help jump-start labor, which I believe it did. I was 38w, and 6 days. I was 80% effaced, and 2.5cm dilated.

Saturday, January 5th I started feeling slight contractions (false contractions) but they weren't timeable and I could walk through them, so I didn't end up going to L\D.

On Sunday, the contractions became a lot stronger around 12 in the afternoon. They were 5-8 mins apart. I wanted to be on the safe side, so I made a trip to L/D. with my mom and my bf. The nurse monitored me for a good 2 hours, and it showed that my contractions were only 5 mins apart from eachother, but it also showed that I was having 'cramps' inbetween the contractions.The nurse nurse checked my cervix and I was still only 80% effaced, and 2.5cm dilated. Talk about frusterated! I was sent home at around 2:30pm because I wasn't dilated enough, and the doctor said I seemed to be 'too happy' to be in active labor. Since I wasn't progressing much, my bf drove 2 hours back home. As soon as I got home, I went to the bathroom and I was bleeding.. Not just spotting, but bleeding heavily. I thought nothing of it because I know that bleeding sometimes happens after getting your cervix checked. I didn't realize that it was my "bloody show" The contractions becane 10X worse to the point where I could hardly walk. They were 3-5 mins apart now, and lasted 30 secs-1 min. I sat at home until 5pm (2 hours since my last trip to L/D) til I couldn't bare the pain anymore.

I arrived at the hospital for the 2nd time on Sunday, January 6th and I was monitored again (UGH). My contractions were WAY stronger and closer together the monitor showed. The nurse checked my cervix later on, and I was about 4cm dilated, so they omitted me, YAY! The contractions were SO sharp and painful that I just wanted to burst into tears. The lovely nurse then offered me a gravol/morphine shot that I could NOT resist. I thought at that point anything that would take away my pain, I could accept. I was in the tub for 3 straight hours, which kept me a lot more relaxed, and helped a bit with my horrid contractions. I called my bf to tell him I was being kept in the hospital, and that our baby boy would soon be here! Once I hopped out of the tub, I was taken into the labor and delivery and recieved and epidural. My whole pregnancy I told myself that I was going to go natural, but once I was in actual pain, I couldn't say no to it. I was checked for dilation again and I was finally at 6cm! A few hours later I was checked again and made no progress. I was given pitocin in my IV. Another couple hours later, I was checked once again and I was at 8cm. I had my water broken since it wouldn't break on it's own. It was now 8AM in the morning.. At around 9-10am I was completely dilated AT LAST. The DR told me I should wait a little while to push, and I have no idea why.. I started pushing, and the DR said that if I don't push him out within' 10-15mins that I would have to be cut or have a c-section because his head was getting squashed in the birth canal. I started bawling my eyes out, then my mom, and bf did. After just over an hour of pushing, I had my beautiful baby boy. He was born at 12:13pm on January 7th. He weighed 7lbs 15oz and was 20in long. He is my definition of perfection! <3 He came 6 days early - I'm guessing the membrane sweep played a huge roll in him arriving early.

Nothing seems real yet.. I can't believe god gave me this precious little boy. <3