Okay, this is my first child. She is due February 13th. Im just basically trying to find out if I should get the epidural, take the pain meds, and everything like that. I do have a heart problem. I have a leaky valve and a high heart rate but I want to make my decisions based on what is going to be the best for my little girl. Im concerned with how the hospital is going to take her away after birth, I don't want them doing anything to her without me know about it. I always do not want to be induced. Do you guys have some stories or advice that might be helpful?
Honestly, this is something you need to talk to your OB about
Induction, pain medication, what happens with your baby after birth- these are all YOUR choices. The hospital staff works for you.
I would do research on epidurals and alternate forms of pain management and the effects that they have on the baby and on your heart condition. Write out a birth plan about what you want to happen during and after the birth, and discuss it with your midwife/OB before you go into labor.
I don't know much about the leaky valve, but I know I have a high heart rate issue as well. That didn't stop me from having two natural deliveries. You need to talk to your cardiologist, and find out what is safe for you to do. There are certain circumstances where it might not be safe to attempt a natural delivery, and only your doctors know whether you fall into that category.
Do you know where you'll be delivering? My best advice is start making a list of things you want/do not want, and then see if your hospital offers tours - and ask your questions then. Ask about the hospitals policies, and how likely your wishes will be carried out. Its always good to have a birth plan, but i honestly didnt make one, because I know half the time the L&D nurses dont take them seriously.
For me, I planned to labour at home, for as long as possible, and show up at the hospital, pushing. I would love an unasissted home birth, but that option is not available to me, so I work with what I have.
I WAS planning on going without an epidural, or any pain relief. Walking as much as possible, using a birthing ball, using positive birthing affirmations...etc etc.
Now - im 10 days overdue and waiting on a call from L&D to go in and be induced. I still am going to try going without an epi though.
I'm not doctor or medical professional but possible best option would be to discuss pain management options risks and benefits with your doctor. Maybe even the anesthesiologist before your EDD. With a heart condition the stress of natural labor may be hard on you, or may not.. keep an open mind and all options on the table. Anything is possible.
There are different pain medication options. You need to talk to your Dr. about that especially since you have a heart condition. They will advise what is the best/most safe method of pain relief for you and the baby. If you have a high pain tolerance, I would say just go natural! I am also against induction. It's dumb unless there's a medical reason why you need the baby to be forced out before she's ready.Trust me, she'll come when she's ready! What things exactly are you referring to about taking the baby away and doign things to her w/o you knowing? A lot will be going on and as a first timer, you're probably going to be in shock mode after she's out. With my 2nd daughter, I ended up having an emergency c-section and was not informed or asked about anything that had to do with her. She was blue and non-responsive when she came out so they rushed her away pretty quick. I didn't even get to see her for 2 days besides a picture. My advice to you as a first time mom is hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I never planned on having a c-section and it really sucked when it had to happen.
So I have a leaky heart valve and a rare heart arrhythmia, which they didn't discover until after having my third baby. I know that I had it long before that because of certain things that happened but didn't get the actual diagnosis until this year. Anyway, I had my last baby right before they diagnosed me(they already knew by that point I had an irregular heart beat though) and had pain meds and an epidural and it never hurt me. I want to have another baby but my OB wants me to get permission from my cardiologist first. If you are pregnant with all this then I guess that gives me hope lol.
However, you do need to discuss your options with your OB about everything just to be on the safe side.
I totally wanted an epidural and when I went into labor my white blood cell count was too high :/ so I wasn't permitted to have one. And let me say, it was soo intense .. I knew while pregnant contractions would be fierce.. ( I should mention also, I had been up for 35+ hours before delivery lol) I swore o would never get pregnant again because it was too much for me.. But in time you forget, and I am nervous that I may have to go sans drugs again. I hope not lol, but I survived and my son slept 6 hours a night since he was 3 days old ... You may want to keep an open mind to either, see how its playing out while your in the hospital.
Since it's your first labor/delivery, I wouldn't try to plan it out too much. Things don't always work out how we expect them to, and you don't know how well you'll be able to tolerate the pain, etc. Go into it with an open mind, and speak with your OB prior to that time so you know what your safest options are. Also check with your hospital to see what their rooming-in policy is. Most hospitals now prefer to have the baby stay with the mother for as much of the time as possible.
I had a great plan no epi, no induction, no shots, no blah blah it didn't happen I got induced lasted till 7 cm got the epi..it ony worked on the left side and barely worked at that and I got to hold her 2 mins before they took her 3 hours "for shots" You can plan all you want and its good to have but things change especially with health issues. Plan hope for the best but be open to change.
Thank you for all of the advice. I go back to the ob tomorrow. A few weeks ago I had kidney stones and contractions 2 minutes apart and dialted to almost a 1. So I have to go be checked again in the morning. They think that a c-section would be harded on me than natural birth. Im going to call the hospital and see what they normally do in labor and deliverly & I will make a plan with my ob tomorrow. You guys are really helpful when it comes down to it im just going to do what is best for my daughter.
Since you have heart problems they will probably recommend you getting the epidural. That's what they did with me atleast. Some cases like yours and mine epidural's are needed to relax us. I didn't get any other pain medication well they asked but i refused. My heart rate gets out of control too that's why i need to be on a beta blocker. You have some things to talk about with your doctor,are you on medicine for your high heart rate? I'm really not trying to scare you,but that can be DEADLY pregnant or not.