7 weeks; sac but no baby?? Amanduuuh 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 5315 posts
Nov 28th '12

My friend is devastated. She had her first ultrasound today. They found a sac but no baby. The sac measures 7 weeks so is this most likely a blighted ovum or chemical pregnancy?? Is there still hope?

Pey and Trista's mommy Due January 5; 3 kids; 2 angel babies; Houston, Texas 42503 posts
Nov 28th '12

Wouldn't be a chemical...chemical pregnancies nothing develops. The egg dies shortly after implantation.

B,K,L,&T! 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Michigan 1094 posts
Nov 28th '12

I don't know much of anything about this..

but I know when I had MY 7 week U/S I couldn't see anything at all there.. but I was pregnant.

lolajessup 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44076 posts
Nov 28th '12

Sounds like a blighted ovum. They'll prolly have her go back in a couple weeks to be sure. But if the dates are right and she is 7 weeks usually you can see something by then :( sorry.

brodyzmom Due December 18 (girl); 1 child; 3 angel babies; Huntsville, Alabama 2792 posts
Nov 28th '12

Anything is possible including a viable pregnancy, but my guess would be a blighted ovum. I had one myself back in July. The sac measured a little over 6 weeks, but no baby. I'm so sorry if that's the case. Best wishes to your friend for good news!

user banned Des Moines, Iowa 1848 posts
Nov 28th '12

At 7 weeks if the embryo is not visible there is nothing that can be done. US can get a very clear picture from 5-6 weeks depending on the equipment used. Prior to this time frame the embryo can be difficult to distinguish. At 7 weeks there should e evidence of a rudimentary beating heart an yolk sac. The absence of this definitely implies non viable pregnancy or undetected miscarriage.

IOnlyMakeBoys (B.B.M) 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 4754 posts
Nov 28th '12

My 6 almost 7 week scan only showed the yolk sac that the baby uses before the placenta takes over went back in at 8 weeks and 3 days and there was a tiny baby and a heartbeat I am now 25 weeks and carrying a healthy baby boy. Are they going to recheck her in a few weeks?

Amanduuuh 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 5315 posts
Nov 28th '12

Thanks everyone! Her hcg levels are high according to the dr. There going to check again next week I believe.

Nov 28th '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's Mommy*:</b>" Weird! I saw no fetus at my 7.5 ultrasound and now I have a healthy 10 month old son. O_o"</blockquote>
Was there a yolk sac or fetal pole though?

Nov 28th '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Manda Capps:</b>" Thanks everyone! Her hcg levels are high according to the dr. There going to check again next week I believe."</blockquote>

They could have measure things incorrectly. If she is not as far along as they were thinking perhaps she is pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

Christa Torres 1 child; Spring Lake, North Carolina 82 posts
Nov 28th '12

When I was 8 weeks pregnant, I got my first ultrasound and was able to see a heartbeat. Maybe the ultrasound that was used on your friend wasn't a very good quality one. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Nov 28th '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's Mommy*:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting lolajessup:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's ... [snip!] ... Was there a yolk sac or fetal pole though?"</blockquote> My OB said "we see a sac but no baby, come back in 2 weeks""</blockquote>

Maybe they meant a yolk sac? Do u have a pic?

Nov 28th '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Christa Torres:</b>" When I was 8 weeks pregnant, I got my first ultrasound and was able to see a heartbeat. Maybe the ultrasound ... [snip!] ... the ultrasound that was used on your friend wasn't a very good quality one. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her."</blockquote>

The equipment can be bad, but typically mistakes like these are due to having a tech who does not specialize in prenatal US. This would be most techs. If you are having an ultrasound done by whoever contracts for radiology in the hospital, they are mostly dealing with disease and trauma. If you were sent to a place that specializes in OB US the equipment and the techs would be able to identify a pregnancy at this point.

Amanduuuh 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 5315 posts
Nov 28th '12

It was the ultrasound tech at her OB's office do I'd assume he/she would be able to find it. Her dr said because there's a sac that its a really good sign and its probably just too early. I'm worried she's giving her false hope. I was 7 weeks 3 days when I saw DD and her heartbeat for the first time.

Nov 28th '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Manda Capps:</b>" It was the ultrasound tech at her OB's office do I'd assume he/she would be able to find it. Her dr said ... [snip!] ... too early. I'm worried she's giving her false hope. I was 7 weeks 3 days when I saw DD and her heartbeat for the first time."</blockquote>

It's just so iffy at that point. Could go either way. But tell her to prepare herself for the worst and hope for the best. Waiting to find out was the longest 2 weeks I my life. It was very disappointing.