32-36 week preemie NICU stay Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy 18 kids; Rockton, Illinois 780 posts
Oct 18th '10

I have been admitted twice this past weekend due to pre-term labor due to a fall Friday night. I was just curious how long of a NICU stay your little one had if they were born between 32-36 weeks gestation?

My first daughter was born at 31w3d due to Pre-E and and she was IUGR. She was in the NICU for 1 month and 2 days. The chances of me making it to term are very unlikely due to the pre-term labor and my chances of developing Pre-E again so I was just wondering the average length of stay for babies born between 32-36 weeks.

Thanks ladies!

2+Brynn+Irelynn♥ 2 kids; Belton, Texas 29943 posts
Oct 18th '10

My 35 weeker spent 7 days in the NICU. Her lungs weren't fully developed.

CerealMakerWife♥ TTC since Apr 2013; 5 kids; Ukraine 36287 posts
Oct 18th '10

Aydin was 35 weeks and no NICU stay. He went home with me.

*Amo a Mis Nenas* 3 kids; Birmingham, Alabama 8838 posts
Oct 18th '10

umm. i know my friends 31 week preemie son only stayed 4 weeks...

i think it all depends on the baby...

user banned 50 kids; Ohio 5802 posts
Oct 18th '10

My 36 weeker spent 4 hours in the NICU, mainly for observation. She was fine :)

D+S+G= ♥ 1 child; Alaska 29971 posts
Oct 18th '10

My husbands aunt had her son at 35 weeks he didnt stay in NICU at all he left the hospital with her 2 days after birht

*WishingUponAStar* 2 kids; 4 angel babies; Lawton, Oklahoma 18442 posts
Oct 18th '10

My bil's 33 weekers spent 2 weeks in the NICU.

Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy 18 kids; Rockton, Illinois 780 posts
Oct 18th '10
Quoting 2+Brynn+Irelynn♥:
2+Brynn+Irelynn♥ 2 kids; Belton, Texas 29943 posts
Oct 18th '10
Quoting Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy:
A$h13y 2 kids; Okawville, Illinois 4901 posts
Oct 18th '10

You know...this is probably dumb on my part...but I think that there are alot of babies that are actually off by the 2 weeks that your gestation could be. Because some babies are born at 38 weeks and have 0 problems (like a 40 week baby) and some 38 week babies appear to have lung issues (like a 36 week old baby). I don't think I'm wording it correctly.....but maybe everyone will understand. I had my son at 36 weeks....I tried telling my dr for a long time that I thought I was farther along than he had though...but he said no. I went into labor at 36 weeks and he stopped it saying that he may not have strong enough lungs. I ended up in the hospital 2 days after my labor was stopped because I was so sick. They had to induce me because of how sick I was. When he came out...even the pedi asked if my due date was correct because he looked full term. I guess the moral of the story is....it's really hard to compair 2 pre-term babies *whew* sorry! kinda long

Taryn - Anya's mommy 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Toronto, Ontario 49462 posts
Oct 18th '10

My oldest was born at 35 weeks, she spent 2 weeks in the hospital, but thats because she got stuck during delivery and inhaled some amniotic fluid, and she got a slight case of pneumonia and then she got jaundice, but her lungs were fully mature, due to me getting steroid shots.

Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy 18 kids; Rockton, Illinois 780 posts
Oct 18th '10
Quoting A$h13y:
Punk_Barbie 2 kids; Texas 2884 posts
Oct 18th '10

I went into early labor after a small small fender bender with my first at 34 weeks...they told me a good guess was to say most babies stay untill there actuall due date...luckily with bed rest and meds I kept her in untill 38 weeks.

The wh**e of Babylon 1 child; Harrison, Ohio 11 posts
Oct 18th '10

I had my baby 11 days late but I was born at 33 weeks and was only in NICU for the first night but had to stay for 8 days unitl i got back up to my birth weight. I hope everything goes well!

Charlie... TTC since Aug 2008; Wasaga Beach, Ontario 274 posts
Oct 18th '10

My niece was born at 33 weeks and spent 9 days in the NICU. Only because she had jaundice. She was 4lbs 8oz. Usually they say that they will keep them until their due date or until they reach 5lbs. That's what they told me. Every hospital has different protocols though. Good luck!